Greetings NACIO Members
Fall is here and it’s time for a few updates from NACIO!
NACO ANNUAL CONFERENCE IN LONG BEACH
Thank you to all those that participated in NACIO events as part of the National Association of Counties Conference in Long Beach in late July.
We had a very successful business meeting with a lot of great energy and ideas which members will be experiencing the benefits of in the next several months. Additionally, members were able to take part in three pre-conference workshop presentations, NACIO's Awards of Excellence Reception and a crisis communications session as part of the NACo workshop line-up. Thank you to all the presenters and those that attended various events at the conference.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS POSITIONS
Earlier this month, our full Board of Directors held a planning call and will continue meeting monthly via teleconference calls on the first Thursday of each month. New Board positions include;
- Perrin Anderson, Board Secretary (Sevier County, TN)
- Tristan Babin, At-large Director (St. Charles Parish, LA)
- Terri Graham, At-large Director (Cook County, IL)
- Jennifer Finch, At-large Director (Weld County, CO)
- Donnell Preskey Hushka, At-large Director (North Dakota Association of Counties)
Board members that will continue service to the organization include;
- Jessica Beyer, President (Blue Earth County, MN)
- Lori Hudson, First Vice President (Hillsborough County, FL)
- Rebecca Carter, Second Vice President (Mecklenburg County, NC)
- Todd McGee, Past President (Orange County, NC)
- Mary Jane Neiman, Region 1 Director (County Commissioners Association of Ohio)
- Danny Diehl, Region 2 Director (Mecklenburg County, NC)
- Dave Rose, Region 3 Director (El Paso County, CO)
- Carolyn Marinan, Region 4 Director (Hennepin County, MN)
The Board is in the process of considering reinstatement of a treasurer position as part of the leadership team. The commitment of time and expertise of Board members to the organization is greatly appreciated.
FORMER NACIO PRESIDENT'S PASSING
On a sad note, one of our past presidents, Robert Tucker, formerly employed with Johnson County, KS recently passed away. Robert was a wonderful advocate for NACIO and our sympathy goes out to his family, friends and Johnson County colleagues. NACIO has sent a memorial plant arrangement for his funeral which will be held tomorrow. His obituary is posted at; http://www.penwellgabelolathe.com/Obituary/125262/Robert-Paul-Tucker/Olathe-Kansas.
Now that fall is in full swing, NACIO will continue its free webinar series for members. Generally, we hold webinars quarterly. However, we have enough topics to schedule monthly webinars - so we will move forward with holding webinars on the first Wednesday of each month at 1 p.m. (CST). Please mark your calendars for the following webinar dates;
- October 5, 2016
- November 2, 2016
- December 7, 2016
- January 4, 2017
- February 1, 2017
- (No Webinar in March due to the NACo Legislative Conference)
- April 5, 2017
- May 3, 2017
- June 7, 2017
The October 5 webinar is titled, "NACIO Best of Class Winner Showcase: Publications with Market Appeal” and will feature best practices that Kitsap County Public Works Communications Team used to create their “2016 Best of Class” winning entry “WasteWise Living” magazine. Doug Bear, Communications Manager and Erina Kong, Public Information Specialist with Kitsap County will present. Additionally, all Best of Class Winners in the 2016 Awards of Excellence Contest will be highlighted. Learn more and register at; https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/542548892742789122. Information is also listed below.
Thank you and we hope you can take part in the October 5 webinar!
Jessica Beyer, NACIO President